Sunday, May 27, 2007

Download music without paying for it = COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT

...but you know that.

If, though, your children download music on your computer, that can cause you problems, too. Kids, for the most part, are remarkably insensitive to copyright infringement and to their parents' wallets. You are responsible for all use of your internet account, whether you know what's going on or not (another reason to monitor your kids' online activities). A few clients of mine have had kids who downloaded over a thousand songs sans payment. The music industry is...um...unhappy with that and generally files suit, but we usually manage to settle the case for more than my client wanted to pay but for a fair price considering the number of illicit downloads and they drop the suit. Those clients' kids are working hard to repay the parents for that one. It's a sharp lesson in copyright rights for everyone involved, but usually the kids don't repeat the offense.

I see a lot of people in that situation; dealing with the music industry's lawyers seems to have become a minor concentration of my copyright practice, and not by my design. Perhaps I'll start advertising the service....

My kid has no expectation of privacy on the internet. I'm always over her shoulder, asking what she's doing, who she's chatting with, etc. She hates it, but hey...that's what moms are for.

Nancy